Friday 17 December 2010

Use it or Lose it


This was the sign posted at the optometrist’s reception desk.

Made me laugh.

Seems like a funny way to welcome patients.

Read the fine print.

All about using up flexible spending account monies before the end of the year. Once January 1st rolls around, anything left (for medical, dental, eye care) will be gone.

Which is why I was there in the first place.

Had my teeth cleaned earlier in the day but still had a few hundred dollars left.

After testing peripheral vision, long distance eye chart, blurry vs. clear and used the machine that blows air right onto your eyeball, we studied the scans brought up on his computer.

“You have an exceptionally large cup size for a Caucasian woman,” he said.

Without skipping a beat, I said, “Thank you.”

Then I realized that my mammogram was scheduled for next week and he was actually referring to my optic disk size. Apparently, as a rule, it is much smaller in Caucasian-Americans than all other races.

Not my eye (because I forgot to bring camera)
but basically what we were viewing on his screen.

Who knew.

Wasn’t good news or bad news.

We compared scans from my last visit three years ago and I had a big cup then too.

Don’t think I will be getting the same comment (compliment?) from the breast technician next Wednesday.

But maybe the tech will have something to say about my eyes!



No comments:

Post a Comment