Friday 29 October 2010

Landmarks

I have problems with directions. Always have.

Years ago I was driving from the New Hampshire border towards Boston’s Logan Airport and I overshot and ended up in Plymouth before I realized I was lost. If you know the area, that actually takes some skill as Plymouth is approximately 40 miles south.

Once I missed a housewarming party. I brought directions but no telephone number. Those friends later gave me a keychain that says, “I don’t need no stinkin’ maps”.

Living in San Diego, I have the Pacific Ocean as a guide so I have done pretty well.

Saturday we moved to LONDON for a 7-week stint.

Very exciting but what were the chances that I would find my way back to our flat each day?

Well, this is my new Pacific Ocean:
Tower Bridge of London
Couldn’t be more excited to have the Thames River and the Tower Bridge in our backyard.

Not just because its pretty.

I can walk north on our side of the river or I can walk south on our side of the river or I can walk north on the opposite side (well, you get the idea) and still turn around and find my way home.

At first I was a bit concerned that there would be major similarities in all the bridges on the Thames. So I walked the River Path to test my theory.





Hmmm, kinda non-descript.

And this is the bridge that gets all the hype (maybe more exciting when it was ‘falling down’).

Now there are definitely some good-looking bridges.

Millennium Bridge



Blackfriars Bridge


Yep, these are all nice, but I got the best (and tallest) bridge!

And I think I will be able to find my way home.


No comments:

Post a Comment