Sunday 16 January 2011

Is Anyone Listening?

Auditioned and became a volunteer in 2004.

A chance to read.

Out loud.

On air.

With buttons to push and a headset with attached microphone.


My idea of a good time.

For a very worthy organization.


The KPBS Radio Reading Service broadcasts the readings of newspapers, books and magazines to those with low vision, blindness and other print impairments. Airing 24 hours a day over a private audio channel, the Reading Service is accessible to qualified recipients in San Diego through a specialized radio, and online via audio webstream. All readings are produced by volunteers.



Over the years I have been partnered with a variety of readers including a local weather person who was immaculately dressed and coiffed. For the sound booth.

I assumed that all of us, were to some extent...

(what is the word I am searching for)

Hams.

Who enjoyed performing.

And then my current reading partner shared the following: A colleague at her work mentioned that he had gone to the website, listened to the broadcast and heard her on air.

She was taken aback and slightly horrified. "I can do this because I assume that no one is listening."



How interesting is that.

I am motivated to go back to the station on a regular basis because I assume everyone is listening! 



1 comment:

  1. I love the photos that go with these stories. And loved the last line of this entry!! You are a funny, funny lady.

    ReplyDelete