Tuesday 1 February 2011

No Cash Register ?



Walked into the Apple store at The Forum in Carlsbad.

Asked one of the young employees, clad in shorts and a bright shirt, if I could buy an iTunes gift card.

Of course I could.

But they are sold in packs. A pack of 4 $10 gift cards for $40 or a pack of 4 $15 gift cards for $60.

Ok, smart marketing.

Upselling is the way to go.

Picked a pack. Wandered over to a long table in the back thinking it might have a cash register.

Wrong.

Just need to hand my credit card over to any available employee. They all carry hand-helds to swipe and take care of transactions. Even asked for my email address in order to deliver the receipt.

Walked out thinking:

        *  Are other retail stores doing away with cash registers?
        *  What happens when you try to use cash?
        *  Kudos to the idea of not wasting paper (on bags or receipts).
        *  Upselling can be beneficial to the seller as well as the consumer.

In the spirit of not spoiling my 11-year-old nephew on his birthday, I kept an iTunes gift card for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment