Sunday 25 September 2011

Trading in My Dinosaur



“You are probably one of those people that should get the warranty.”

Since Joseph, from the Apple Store at UTC, was quite knowledgeable and personable I did not take offense.

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“The kind of person that hangs on to their computers forever.”

Oh.

My MacBook Pro was considered state-of-the-art when it was purchased five years ago.

But it seems that computers do not have much of a shelf life.

It’s not that I hadn’t noticed that age had crept in and reared its ugly head.

My mobile laptop became stationery awhile back when the internal battery stopped working and I needed to be near an outlet at all times.

In the past year, Safari unexpectedly closed all open windows on my desktop with no warning. A couple of times a week.

A hard boot has been needed to get out of many an endless loop brought on by viewing a video or using a random application.

Still, I hadn’t realized I was hanging on to a dinosaur.

So old that the software I currently have will not run on the computer that I have my eye on. Different operating software, don’t you know.

On the bright side, I will not have to give up my touch pad (to which I am addicted).

Only now it will be larger and detached from the keyboard.

Something to get used to.

Among other things.

Unless I want to continue to be one of those people.




1 comment: