Wednesday 19 August 2015

Ikebana

When I was little I really HATED going to the dentist.

And I imagine they weren't too thrilled to see me either.

One time the dentist offered my Mom a pill (for me to take ahead of time in order to relax before I got a cavity filled).

Yowza. That seems a bit creepy, doesn't it?

Anyway, as an adult I enjoy the dentist office. Dr. Miyashiro is a total perfectionist. I know my smile and gums are in good hands.

Plus walking into her office in La Jolla is like visiting a spa. 

Because she practices the art of Ikebana:


The Japanese art of flower arrangement. It is more than simply putting flowers in a container. It is a disciplined art form in which the arrangement is a living thing where nature and humanity are brought together. It is steeped in the philosophy of developing a closeness with nature.

Ikebana is an art, in the same sense that painting and sculpture are arts. It has a recorded history; it is backed up by articulate theories; and it is concerned with creativity. In Japan, flower arrangements are used as decorations on a level with paintings and other art objects.




Her receptionist told me that Dr. M brings in new 'art' every week. 



The arrangements are breathtaking.





Much more relaxing than any pill.





1 comment:

  1. How beautiful. What is it with dentists? Mine designs jewelry. Say, where can I get some of those pre-dentist relaxing pills?

    ReplyDelete