Wednesday 24 November 2010

Richmond, Part 2



Kings Arms, The Brittania, The Horseshoe Inn, The Hartley, The Pommelers Rest.

These are all pubs I have been to with my husband.

And I am not a beer drinker.

Sunday was my turn ---- and he willingly (and I use the term loosely) joined me for afternoon tea in Richmond.

Our server has waited on Mick Jagger, so men (or at least rock stars) do frequent the place.

A ‘Rolling Stone’ on their wall of famous visitors.
He has a home up the hill.

When we got off the train in Richmond, we went towards the right and spent half the day at Kew Gardens. Later we backtracked and went through a bustling city center that lead to The Petersham Hotel.

We had a 4 pm reservation.

It was everything I had imagined.

If you are going to have Afternoon Tea (in capital letters) then you have to find a place in the country that makes you feel like a princess.

And I give this spot an A+.


Simple, yet elegant.


The Earl Grey tea, scones with clotted cream, and crust-less sandwiches competed with the incredible view!


I stopped by the ladies lounge on the way out and thought about moving in, so pretty.


All in all, afternoon tea is a rather feminine affair.

Women celebrating a birthday and a baby shower surrounded us. There were various groupings of ladies who lunch (and dress up smartly to do so).

We chatted with the servers (all male)…the first one had two of his fingers wrapped in tape, the second one had his right arm in a cast down to his knuckles.

Had to ask.

Is this tea thing a hazardous occupation?

“Oh no, broke my arm playing football, you should see the guy in the kitchen with a neck brace.”

Added just enough testosterone to the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment