Wednesday 20 July 2011

Pico De Gallo


This is not another post about lettuce.

I am moving on.

To tomatoes.

As there are a boatload of ripe tomatoes in the garden right now. And by boatload I mean I filled a large colander last night.

When life gives you tomatoes, it is probably a good idea to make a salad. But that would require lettuce.

Instead I made pico de gallo for dinner.

Who am I kidding? I served chips and salsa after work tonight and opened a bottle of Skinny Girl Margarita.

But at least 1/3 of the meal was homemade.

Technically pico de gallo is a combination of fresh uncooked ingredients. Which is how it started.

Chopped white onion. Squeezed a lime over top. Added chopped cilantro. Diced the aforementioned boatload of tomatoes. Sprinkled sea salt and ground some pepper. Finely minced a jalapeno pepper.

Then came the twist.

Since this was gonna be a one-pot meal surrounded by Tostitos Scoops, it seemed necessary to dress it up a bit.

Grilled an ear of corn and scraped the kernels into the mix. Boiled raw shrimp from the freezer, chopped and added.

Ok, now it is no longer pico de gallo.



But whatever you want to call it, it was delicious.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, YUM!! Your fresh tomatoes and roasted corn and shrimp!! I make something like this called Cowboy Caviar, and it has avocado.

    ReplyDelete