Wednesday 18 April 2012

Life of an Agent

I worked in the software industry for a long time.

So a lot of the friends I made also worked in the software industry. In fact, I worked with a number of the same people at multiple software companies.

And then there came a point where many of us moved on and tried something different.

Took on a challenge that had nothing to do with developing, training, selling or managing a project that had to do with publishing software.

A couple of days ago I met up with a used-to-be-in-the-software-industry friend who is now an FBI agent.

As in Federal Bureau of Investigation.

And I find this change of career absolutely fascinating.

As we caught up over fish tacos in the Gaslamp District, it was wild to know that he had a gun strapped to his ankle and that there was very little, very very little, that he could divulge about his career. And by little, I mean pretty much nothing.

There was still plenty to talk about, other than his work, as evidenced by the fact that the downtown parking garage had rolled down its gates by the time we said our good-byes and I was ever so grateful that I found a way to get my car out.

But can you imagine a life where you leave work behind every day? Not discussing any aspect of it with your spouse, family and friends because the nature of your work is top secret.

And there has to be a million juicy details to share.

Right?

I couldn't do it.




1 comment:

  1. Well are you going to tell us who this guy is?!!! ha ha ha ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete